This week’s annual NECA fly-in was a great success. 150 NECA members from 30 different states attended the conference and met with over 200 legislators. In addition, 85 legislators, including Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-CA), attended the Congressional reception, our biggest turn out yet! Contractors discussed the following issues with their Representatives and Senators during their day on Capitol Hill:
- Permitting Reform
- Tax Cuts and Jobs Act
- Water and Airport Infrastructure
H.R. 1, the Lower Energy Costs Act, bill passed the House on party lines this Thursday, March 30th. NECA advocated for the following permitting reform provisions to be included in this legislation:
- Set Clear Deadlines, Require Simultaneous Agency Reviews, and Effectively Communicate to Applicants of Materials Required for Certification
- Codify Key Elements of the “One Federal Decision” Framework
- Improve the Clean Water Act Certification Process
- Shorten Unnecessary Litigation Delays
- Improve the Siting Process
H.R. 1 passed the House mostly on party lines in a 225-204 vote. Democrat Reps. Henry Cuellar and Vicente Gonzalez of Texas, along with Rep. Marie Gluesenkamp Perez of Washington and Rep. Jared Golden of Maine crossed party lines and voted for the bill. Rep. Brian Fitzpatrick of Pennsylvania was the single Republican who voted against it.
This bill is an important start to the permitting reform discussion. While it will not pass the Senate in its current form, the House has set the framework and emphasized the need for comprehensive energy policy reform. NECA looks forward to helping shape the legislation in the Senate and will continue to advocate for issues important to the electrical construction industry.
NECAPAC broke records this week, raising $80,030 at legislative conference, $30,000 more than last year! Special thanks to the following Political Leadership Council members on renewing:
- James Bane of Mon Valley Electric Inc.
- Thomas DePace of Advance Sound Company
- Rick Jamerson of Jamerson & Bauwens Electric
- David Long of NECA National
- Mark Mazur of MJM Electric
- Jim McGlynn of McWilliams Electric Co. Inc.
- Tom Morton of LLD Electric Co.
- Rick Osbakken of Holden Electric
- Christeen Speelman-Parsons of Speelman Electric Inc.
- Troy Yates of RL Yates Electric
We also had the following members join the PLC during the conference:
- David Ahem of Homestead Electrical Contracting LLC
- Collin Weiner of Cal Energy Corp.
NECAPAC total: $142,454
Operational Fund total: $72,600