This live online classroom brings the best of NECA's Basic Estimating program to a virtual environment. This class will cover the same objectives and activities as NECA's renowned in-person class.
This program focuses on understanding the cost components of electrical estimating, instilling industry best practices, all while developing a sound estimating process. Topics are presented in a lecture format followed by hand-on estimating exercises to reinforce the principles learned. Through the hands-on exercises participants will be expected to perform a takeoff, develop a material list, lookup and apply labor units using the NECA Manual of Labor Units, summarize the costs of the estimate, and apply overhead and profit to the estimate. Each lesson builds upon the previous one, with all the learning coming together through a simulated bid opening on the final day.
Through active participation and completion of this course participants will be able to:
- Define estimating terminology
- Recognize and identify electrical symbols
- Identify potential estimating errors and correct them
- Understand the costs associated with electrical construction
- Prepare an estimate for a commercial electrical project including identifying the scope of work, organizing a material takeoff, applying labor units, summarizing costs and calculating a bid price for the project.
Class Setup and Organization
This class will take place virtually over several weeks. Participants are required to participate in each class session and complete all homework. Facilitators will be available for office hours to answer any questions you have.
- Monday, February 6, 10:00 AM - 11:00 AM ET – Session 1: Orientation & Introduction
- Tuesday, February 7, 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM ET – Session 2: Introduction to Estimating
- Wednesday, February 8, 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM ET – Session 3: Understanding Costs, Setting Up Your Estimate, Estimating Exercise #1
- Thursday, February 9, 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM ET – Session 4: Estimating Exercises #2 & #4
- Homework: Estimating Exercise #3
- Monday, February 13, 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM ET – Session 5: Labor Units & the MLU, Estimating Exercise #5
- Homework: Estimating Exercise #6
- Tuesday, February 14, 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM ET – Session 6: Summarizing the Estimate, Estimating Exercise #7
- Homework: Estimating Exercise #8
- Wednesday, February 15, 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM ET – Session 7: Introduction to the Bid Simulation
- Homework: Bid Simulation
- Instructor Office Hours (by Appointment)
- Tuesday, February 21, 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM ET – Session 8: Summarizing the Estimate, Bid Opening