Being a Trustee on any multi-employer program is part of the electrical contracting business and is an important responsibility for contractors and NECA Chapter staff. It is not as intimidating or mysterious if one can get training that addresses their specific Trust or questions.
The 2009 Labor Relations Conference is dedicated to addressing specific issues related to all trust funds from the management perspective. Knowledgeable speakers will address the responsibilities of trustees, the liabilities of trust funds and how to minimize them, the effect of government action and the economy on trust funds, and the legal rights of trustees. There will be valuable information for all Chapter Managers and chapter appointed trustees to any trust plan.
There will be plenty of time for questions. Do not miss this educational opportunity!
Some of the questions that were submitted through the NECA Chapters and will be addressed are:
- What is the current status of the NEBF, NEAP, National Health Plan and National 401 K Plans?
- Where do Trustees come from and how are they made?
- Define and explain: unfunded liability, withdrawal liability, sponsoring organization, SUB Fund, hardship withdrawal, non-credited contributions, and de minimis.
- Are there any safeguards or special insurance for Trustees?
- What is the role of the trust attorney and/or administrator?
- Can Trustees have their own counsel attend Trust meetings?
- How can a Defined Benefit Fund be converted to a Defined Contribution Fund? Are there any advantages to a conversion?
- Do Trustees have the right to disperse the monies if the Fund folds?
- What is the status of current legislation pertaining to Pension Protection Act (PPA) and the economic stimulus?
Conference Agenda and Power Points
- Agenda (PDF)
- Overview of National Plans: NEBF, NEAP, NEFP, Health Care – Larry Bradley, Kurt Starbuck
- Investment Basics – Jack Marco
- Primer for Multiemployer Plan Trustees – Bob West
- ERISA Prohibited Transactions – Jim Cole
- Trustee Expenses – Hugh Arnold, Dan Brandenburg
- Meals, Entertainment and Gifts – Jim Cole
- Defined Benefit Issues (PPA, Funding, Rehabilitation) – Paul Heylman
- How the FMCP Works and Compares – Kurt Starbuck, Hugh Arnold, Larry Moter
- Defined Contribution Issues (Directed Investments, USERRA, Hardship Withdrawal) – Dan Brandenburg
- Reporting Issues: Form 5500 and Form 990 – Jim Cole
- Defined Benefit Issues (Mergers, Conversions) – Dan Brandenburg, Paul Heylman
- Health Plan Administration and Claims Issues – Kurt Starbuck, Hugh Arnold
- Indemnification and Insurance – Hugh Arnold
- What to do if you get audited by DOL or IRS – Jim Cole
- Legal Update – Paul Heylman, Dan Brandenburg