Welcome to Quebec City
With a historic city centre, tons of cultural events and nature at its doorstep, Québec City is the perfect destination for anyone who loves culture, history, food, and the great outdoors.
Designated a World Heritage treasure by UNESCO, Old Québec is the only walled city north of Mexico. As the cradle of French civilization in North America, it’s a living history lesson with a remarkable mix of architecture, heritage, art, and culture.
Dufferin Terrace and its fairytale castle are two attractions that never cease to amaze visitors and locals alike, offering spectacular views of the St. Lawrence River and its constantly shifting icescapes.
Getting to Quebec:
Getting to Quebec (PDF) Local Area Transportation
The closest major airport to Quebec City is Jean Lesage International Airport (YQB). The International Terminal there has undergone significant improvements and immigration is relatively easy to navigate. Of course, you’ll need your passport! The Frontenac only 8 miles from the airport.
We do NOT recommend a rental car because the Frontenac is in the middle of a walled city with limited parking ~ and everything is walkable. We are providing transportation to most of the place you will want to go.
There are NOT a lot of flights from the US to Quebec ~ so you’ll probably fly somewhere first (like Montreal or Toronto). According to the airport’s website, the airlines listed below fly to YQB; listed by originations of non-stop flights (with the number of daily arriving flights):
Direct Flights to Quebec City
- Montreal (11 flights)
- Toronto (5 flights)
About the Hotel:
Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac, Quebec City, Canada
Ideally located inside the walls of Old Quebec, the iconic Fairmont Le Château Frontenac has undergone a multimillion dollar renaissance project that will reposition it as one of the world’s leading hotels. The restoration blends the charm of the hotel’s enchanting past with modern innovations, creating an allure that is fresh & seductive, balanced with the hotel’s rich history & dynamic future.
THE FRONTENAC AT A GLANCE
- The Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac is Canada’s most beloved hotel.
- You will feel an elegant touch of historic Europe in any of the beautifully furnished luxury accommodations, which include 611 guest rooms and suites.
- It is only 8 miles from the Jean Lesage International Airport
- Located in the heart of Quebec City, which is a very walkable city with a wall around it, so you can’t get lost (because you can always see the hotel!)
- Restaurants offering exceptional views of the St Lawrence River
- This is one of the properties built by the Canadian Pacific (CP) Railway ~ like Banff Springs, Chateau Lake Louise, Jasper Park Lodge, etc.
- Think of this as your true-life castle!
The Frontenac is offering Academy Fellows a choice of the following rooms & rates (single or double):
- Mix of Deluxe $295 Canadian $ = $221 U$
- City View $305 C$ = $229 U$
- Fairmont Gold $345 C$ = $259 U$
- Signature $365 C$ = $274 U$
Note: The U$ rates shown above are converted at .75 (the actual conversion rate on January 11).
You can learn more about the room size, bed configuration and view for these rooms here »
Room taxes are as follows: 3% City Accommodation Tax; 5% Federal Good & Service Tax (GST)and 9.975% Provincial Sales Tax (PST). Thus, the total tax on rooms is 17.975%; thus the $221 U$ rate becomes $261 U$ inclusive.
- You can make your hotel reservation by phone or online:
- Don’t wait until the last minute to reserve your room. You don’t want to be left out!
- May 18 is the cut-off date for hotel reservations (after which rooms and rates cannot be guaranteed)
- Check in time is 4:00 pm; check out time is noon
- Note Cancellation Policy: Rooms may be cancelled up to 72 hours prior to arrival. Cancellations after that will be subject to a charge of one-night.
- Standard internet is complimentary