This live online classroom brings the best of NECA's Basic Estimating program to a virtual environment. This class will cover the same objectives and activities as NECA's renowned in-person class.
This program focuses on understanding the cost components of electrical estimating, instilling industry best practices, all while developing a sound estimating process. Topics are presented in a lecture format followed by hand-on estimating exercises to reinforce the principles learned. Through the hands-on exercises participants will be expected to perform a takeoff, develop a material list, lookup and apply labor units using the NECA Manual of Labor Units, summarize the costs of the estimate, and apply overhead and profit to the estimate. Each lesson builds upon the previous one, with all the learning coming together through a simulated bid opening on the final day.
Through active participation and completion of this course participants will be able to:
- Define estimating terminology
- Recognize and identify electrical symbols
- Identify potential estimating errors and correct them
- Understand the costs associated with electrical construction
- Prepare an estimate for a commercial electrical project including identifying the scope of work, organizing a material takeoff, applying labor units, summarizing costs and calculating a bid price for the project.
This session is SOLD OUT. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the waitlist.
Class Setup and Organization
This class will take place virtually over several weeks. Participants are required to participate in each class session and complete all homework. Facilitators will be available for office hours to answer any questions you have.
- Wednesday, June 16, 10:00 - 11:00 AM ET – Session 1: Orientation & Introduction
- Thursday, June 17, 10:00 AM -12:00 PM ET – Session 2: Introduction to Estimating
- Friday, June 18, 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM ET – Session 3: Understanding Costs, Setting Up Your Estimate, Estimating Exercise #1
- Tuesday June 22, 10:00 AM -12:00 PM ET – Session 4: Estimating Exercises #2 and #4
- Homework: Estimating Exercise #3
- Wednesday, June 23, 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM ET – Session 5: Labor Units & the MLU, Estimating Exercise #5
- Homework: Estimating Exercise #6
- Thursday, June 24, 10:00 AM -12:00 PM ET – Session 6: Summarizing the Estimate, Estimating Exercise #7
- Homework: Estimating Exercise #8
- Friday, June 25, 10:00 AM -12:00 PM ET – Session 7: Introduction to the Bid Simulation
- Monday, June 28 - Wednesday, June 30 – Instructor Office Hours (by Appointment)
- Thursday July 1, 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM ET – Session 8: Summarizing the Estimate, Bid Opening