Some states exempt certain types of work or classes of installations from electrical code, inspection, and/or licensing requirements.
Typical exemptions are listed below; they are referenced by code letter in the individual state listings:
- Electric utility installations and wiring, up to and including meters on customer premises.
- Communications systems including radio, cable television, telecommunications, and similar systems.
- Industrial installations.
- Installations of a specialized nature such as mines, refineries, gas and oil fields, and transportation systems.
- Automotive wiring.
- Temporary wiring on construction or similar projects.
- Installations on government property.
- Farm or agricultural installations.
- Electrical appliances.
- One- and two-family dwellings.
- Work performed by homeowners on their own property, not intended for sale.