The Construction Employers of America (CEA), a union employer building trades advocacy organization to which NECA belongs, wrote to the Platform Committees for the Democratic National Convention and Republican National Convention asking them to include policies that support the domestic construction industry. CEA advocated the parties’ official platforms promote policies honor the vital role union employers have in creating and maintaining our nation’s infrastructure, supporting small business, and strengthening the middle class.
The letter pointed out that CEA member companies are family-owned businesses that follow the rules and provide superior wages and benefits--including health insurance, pensions, and worker safety investments--to their employees. The CEA urged the Platform Committees to, include the following policies into their official Convention Platforms:
- Promote Sound Infrastructure Policies and invest in our nation’s aging infrastructure
- Modernize Retirement Plan Options through federal authorization of composite plans
- Prepare the Next Generation of Skilled Workers by supporting apprenticeship training programs
- Invest in Energy Efficient Buildings by setting and enforcing strong and attainable building codes
- Enhance Manufacturing Efficiency and support policies that advance the deployment of combined heat and power and waste heat to power technologies
- Support Responsible Employers Through Bid Listing and require prime contractor project winners to use the listed subcontractor at the price listed
- Close Employee Misclassification Loophole through reform of existing tax law to identify bad actors so the government can recoup lost tax revenue
Our industry is working to ensure that our federal policy needs are known to the next President and is promoting swift action on these initiatives which will strengthen the economy and create good paying jobs. NECA and our CEA partners stand ready to work with both presidential nominees and the parties’ Platform Committees to advance common sense policies that reflect the importance of a strong union building trade construction industry.